Anti-wrinkle injections can very effectively relax muscles to remove wrinkles and lines and is the most popular cosmetic procedure performed world wide. They are most commonly used between the eyes (frown lines) around the eyes (crows feet) and across the forehead (worry lines) to give a less tired, worried and stressed appearance. Anti-Wrinkle injections are not painful and will usually begin working in 3-5 days.
Anti-Wrinkle injections are Schedule 4 medications and legally must be prescribed by a medical practitioner. If you’re looking for a safe and effective non surgical method of facial rejuvenation that takes only a few minutes and lasts for many months, anti-wrinkle injections are the perfect choice.
What Causes Wrinkles to Appear?
Wrinkles and lines are a natural part of ageing. As you get older your skin becomes thinner, drier and less elastic. We all adopt individual repetitive facial expressions and as a result wrinkles, lines and creases form in your skin. Although genetics are the most important determinant of skin texture, sun exposure and smoking also contribute to the development of wrinkles.
Many facial wrinkles occur when we use our muscles to form facial expressions. The wrinkles formed during facial expression are called “dynamic wrinkles”. When we are young our skin springs back to its initial position at rest but as we get older these wrinkles remain on the skin. The wrinkles and folds present at rest are called “static wrinkles”. This process occurs because natural substances provide the skin with structure and volume decrease with age. This, together with environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, smoking and stress contribute to the creation of wrinkles and folds.
Common Wrinkle Areas
Otherwise known as “glabellar lines”, these are the lines between your eyebrows. They are the commonest wrinkle area that people want treated as they create a “cross” or worried appearance.
Refers to the lines around the sides of the eyes. Years of smiling will result in the development of these lines. This often results in a tired or aged expression.
Horizontal lines or wrinkles that occur across the forehead below the hairline. They are brought about by the combined effects of gravity and loss of elasticity.
These are the vertical lines that develop over the upper lip over the years and which may be made worse by smoking.
Top 8 Things you need to know
Choice Australia have written a great guide all about cosmetic injectables. Download your copy here
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections is a general term used for cosmetic injections that remove wrinkles by blocking the nerve impulses that trigger wrinkle causing muscle contractions.
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections is a term used because Australian Government regulations regard the use of brand names of products that require a prescription as advertising and have banned it.
- Dermal fillers are products that add volume to the skin and are very different to anti-wrinkle injections that stop muscular contraction. They are often used together in combination depending on the desired affect.
- There are 3 brands of Anti-Wrinkle Injections approved for use in Australia, but they are not equivalent, and differ in approved indications for use, strength and duration of action.
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections are a prescription product meaning a medical practitioner needs to be consulted before they are used. It’s generally a safe procedure when performed correctly but complications such as eyebrow droop can occur especially with inexperienced injectors.
- The commonest areas treated by Anti-Wrinkle Injections are the frown lines between the eyes, the worry lines on the forehead and the crow’s feet around the eyes.
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections will generally last around 4 months depending on the area being treated, the amount of product used and an individual’s metabolism.
- If the cost for Anti-Wrinkle Injections is far lower than in a cosmetic medical clinic then there is almost certainly a compromise on the amount or quality of the product, the clinic facilities and/or the experience and qualifications of the injector. The safest and best results with Anti-Wrinkle Injections are achieved when an experienced and qualified practitioner performs the procedure in a medical clinic under medical supervision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which areas are more prone to wrinkles?
What's the best way to treat wrinkles?
What is the best type of anti-wrinkle injections?
What are the most popular areas to treat?
Will my face look frozen and unnatural?
Can anyone get anti-wrinkle injections?
Can anything go wrong post injection?
How long to anti-wrinkle injections last?
What is the cost?
Type B Injections
The number of units required to treat an area will vary between individuals. Prices can be cheaper for amounts over 30 units
$16.50 per unit
Type D Injections
The number of units required to treat an area will vary between individuals. Generally speaking more units of Type D will be required when compared with Type B