Dark circles under the eyes is a common complaint and it can arise from a number of causes. Some patients develop dark circles at an early age and there can be a family history with genetic factors being important.
The skin around the eye area is very delicate and much thinner than in other parts of the face. As we age the skin becomes even thinner and as a result blood vessels close to the skins surface become more visible resulting in more pronounced darkening under the eye area.
The skin on the cheekbone (malar) area is a common area where hormonal pigmentation (melasma) and sun damage can occur.
Allergies and nasal congestion can cause the veins that drain from your eys into your nose to dilate and darken.
Lifestyle factors are also known to aggravate any tendency to the dark circles under the eyes. Fatigue and tiredness are recognised aggravating factors as well as smoking, high caffeine intake, sun exposure, pregnancy and menstruation.
The appropriate treatment for dark circles under the eyes will of course depend on the cause. As there may be several factors involved a combination approach may be necessary. Avoidance of aggravating lifestyle factors is also important.
Treatment options for dark circles include:
- Dermal fillers into the “tear troughs” will make the circles less obvious when they are caused by loss of volume which has generated a shadow effect.
- New Lasers can improve the texture of the skin as well as lessen the wrinkling.
- Lasers can also help target the superficial blood vessels.
- Prescription skin creams containing Hydroquinone (a bleaching agent) can lessen hyperpigmentation, when this is the factor in causing dark circles under the eyes.
- A specially formulated Green tea extract (TEAMINE) can be a valuable adjunct to help reduce dark circles under the eyes. Teamine reduces dark circles and puffiness under the eyes by providing increased microcirculation and drainage, by strengthening the capillaries and by developing thicker firmer skin under the eyes. Most patients notice rapid improvement in the skins smoothness with a noticeable reduction in dark circles within 4 to 8 weeks.